Education Scholarships Australia 2016 – 2017
1) Aqua Vista Glass Scholarship 2016/ 2017
Donor: Aqua Vista Glass
About: Aqua Vista Glass is a business built to keep children safe around pools. Every year we advise on and install thousands of pool fences to ensure that young children can’t swim without supervision. We recognise that an even more important part of keeping children safe in and around water is teaching them to swim. The teachers of tomorrow will therefore play a critical role in keeping our children safe around water. Our directors have long histories as the beneficiaries and providers of education, and wish to recognise and support education students – our future teachers – particularly those with a focus on teaching physical education.
Field of study: Education
Eligibility: To apply for the scholarship, candidates should:
- be studying an education degree (whether undergraduate or postgraduate), with a desire to enter the teaching profession;
- submit an essay of no more than one page (300 words) outlining their interest in and background in teaching physical education as well as how they intend to use the scholarship proceeds to advance their goal of teaching physical education; and
- submit a formal transcript of their academic results.
A reference from a lecturer or tutor, while not required, will be looked upon favourably.
How to apply: Apply online at: https://www.aquavistaglass.com.au/scholarships
Closing date: Semester 1: 15 April, annually Semester 2: 15 September, annually
Contact: 57 Yarraman Place Virginia Queensland 4014 Phone: 07 3861 9977 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
2) George Alexander Foundation Bursary 2016/ 2017
University Name: Australian Catholic University – Ballarat campus
Donor: George Alexander Foundation
About: Established in 2007 by the George Alexander Foundation, founded by the late industrialist and philanthropist George Alexander AM, for the purpose of assisting students with expenses relating to the professional experience component of their course.
Field of study: Education or Nursing
Eligibility: This bursary is open to applicants who meet all of the following criteria:
- Studying at the Ballarat campus
- Undertaking an Education or Nursing course.
How to apply: Recipients are requested to submit a letter of appreciation (http://www.acu.edu.au/455509) for the donor explaining how the Bursary has assisted them. The following documents must be submitted with the application:
- A written statement of approximately 200 words outlining:
- how the Bursary could financially support the applicant’s intended placement (including factors such as additional travel and accommodation costs, and/or loss of income from part-time work).
- details of the applicant’s intended placement (including the distance from the applicant’s home and the duration of the placement).
Apply online at http://webapps.acu.edu.au/scholarship/index.php?sbid=347579
Closing date: 1 October annually
Contact: 1300 ASK ACU (1300 275 228), email@example.com
(+61 3) 8676 7040, firstname.lastname@example.org
3) Teaching Scholarship Scheme 2016/ 2017
Donor: Department of Education & Training
About: There are financial incentives of up to $11,000 available to final-year student teachers and new teacher graduates through the Teaching Scholarship Scheme to take up employment in priority teaching vacancies.
Field of study: Teaching
Eligibility: You are eligible to apply for the Teaching Scholarship Scheme if you are:
- a final-year student teacher in Victoria or other State who will complete your studies prior to the commencement date of the vacancy,
- a teacher graduate who has completed your studies in an Australian university within the 12 months prior to the commencement date of the vacancy, provided that you are not already employed by the Department as a teacher as at the commencement date of the vacancy
- (for vacancies with a special education tag) a qualified teacher who is not employed by the Department as a teacher as at the commencement date of the vacancy, and either:
- currently studying but will complete your special education qualification by the commencement date of the vacancy, or (ii) have gained a special education qualification in the 12
- months preceding the commencement date of the vacancy.
How to apply: for more information on how to apply, please email: email@example.com
Closing date: please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information Contact: email@example.com
4) Teaching Scholarships 2016/ 2017 – Secondary Mathematics, Science (Physics), Technological and Applied Studies and Special Education
University Name: Any
About: HSC students, university students and career changers, you could get paid while you study to become a teacher of a high-demand subject area. Up to 220 Teacher Education Scholarships are available for future teachers of mathematics, science (with physics), selected Technological and Applied Studies subjects or special education (K-12).
Field of study: Teaching – Secondary Mathematics, Science (Physics), Technological and Applied Studies and Special Education
Eligibility: Eligible applicants are Australian citizens or permanent residents who are:
- students completing the HSC in the year of application in a NSW or ACT secondary school or TAFE NSW and who will be entering into an initial teacher education program at a recognised Australian university in the following year,
- university students currently undertaking a suitable degree, or an undergraduate or postgraduate initial teacher education program at a recognised Australian university,
- individuals who are no longer at school, already have a degree, or have industry experience and are intending to enrol in an initial teacher education program at a recognised Australian university,
- willing to accept an appointment as a permanent full time teacher to a NSW public school in an agreed location for a minimum period of three years.
How to apply: apply online at: https://jobsnsw.taleo.net/careersection/schjobs/jobdetail.ftl
Closing date: 18 September annually
Contact: For further information contact the Scholarships Team on telephone 1300 301 435 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
5) Step into Teaching Scholarships 2016/ 2017
Donor: The State of Queensland (Department of Education and Training)
About: The Step into Teaching Scholarships support high-achieving individuals to become Science, Mathematics and Industrial Technology and Design teachers in Queensland secondary state schools.
Field of study: Teaching – Science, Mathematics and Industrial Technology and Design
Eligibility: To be eligible to apply for this scholarship applicants must:
- study an eligible initial teacher education program on a full-time basis at a Queensland higher education institution such as:
- the final year of a four-year undergraduate secondary initial teacher education program (for example a Bachelor of Education – Secondary) or
- a postgraduate secondary initial teacher education program (for example a Graduate Diploma in Education – Secondary)
- specialise in one or more of the following curriculum areas:
- Mathematics B and C
- Industrial Technology and Design (including Manual Arts)
- be available for employment as a teacher commencing the semester following successful completion of the initial teacher program
- commit to undertaking the required minimum service period (up to three years) in a Queensland state school
- be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or have permanent residency status in Australia. How to apply: Download and read the Step into Teaching Scholarships Guidelines (Word doc), about how to apply.
- Applicants will be required to complete the online Step into Teaching Application Form and provide a range of Step into Teaching Scholarships Supporting Documents (Word doc), including:
- certified copies of transcripts for any relevant qualifications
- curriculum vitae or resume
- professional experience reports (undergraduate applicants only)
- evidence of identity and citizenship.
Closing date: contact the Queensland Department of Education and Training for closing date details
Contact: enquiries may be directed to email@example.com or by telephone on (07) 3028 8197.
6) Alfred and Dorothymay Anderson Scholarship 2016/ 2017
University Name: UNSW Sydney
About: The Scholarship has been established to encourage students to undertake the Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Education (BA/BEd UNSW code: 4054) program at UNSW.
Field of study: Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Education
Eligibility: Applicants must have completed the Higher School Certificate (or equivalent qualification) in the year prior to commencing study at UNSW, or two (2) years prior to commencing study provided they have not undertaken any tertiary study in the meantime.
Applicants will be assessed on the basis of academic merit. Consideration may be given to financial need.
Preference may be given to a rural student [the family home must be, or must have been, located in a rural area in NSW for a least four (4) of the applicant’s high school years].
Applicants must be Australian citizens or permanent residents.
Recipients of this scholarship are expected to maintain an overall Weighted Average Mark (WAM) of at least 65 (CREDIT) in order to be considered eligible for renewal.
How to apply: Register and apply online via the following link: https://scholarships.online.unsw.edu.au/scholarship/sc_al_users_registration.registration
Closing date: 30 September, annually
Contact: Phone: (02) 9385 1078
International: +61 2 9385 1078
7) QIEC Super Scholarship 2016/ 2017
University Name: Australian Catholic University
About: Established in 2010 the QIEC Super Scholarship aims to provide financial support to enable students enrolled in the School of Education teacher programs to experience a rural and or remote Queensland education setting thereby; supporting rural and remote communities through provision of student teachers, providing a unique professional development experience for students, encouraging graduating students of the School of Education (Brisbane QLD) to consider working in rural and remote education settings in QLD and, building an awareness of QIEC Super and its brand amongst students of the University.
Field of study: Education and Arts
Eligibility: This scholarship is open to applicants who meet all of the following criteria:
- Have not previously received this scholarship
- Studying at the Brisbane campus
- Enrolled in the Faculty of Education and Arts
- Have successfully completed at least one practicum placement
- Living 100km from their placement
How to apply: apply online via the following link: http://webapps.acu.edu.au/scholarship/index.php?sbid=382313
The following documents must be submitted with the application:
- A written statement of approximately 400 words outlining:
- the success of the previously completed practicum placement (200 words);
- how a rural, regional or remote school could benefit the applicant’s learning and practice as a future teacher (200 words).
- Academic transcript
- A copy of previous practicum experience report
- Evidence of enrolment / acceptance for a four week or longer practicum placement in a rural, regional or remote area based in Queensland consistent with QIEC Super’s business reach (grid)
- Evidence of residence (at least 100km from placement)
Closing date: 7 August, annually
Contact: 1300 ASK ACU (1300 275 228), firstname.lastname@example.org
8) TEACHERS MUTUAL BANK UNDERGRADUATE TEACHING SCHOLARSHIP 2016/ 2017
Donor: Teachers Mutual Bank
University Name: The University of Newcastle, Australia
About: This Scholarship was established by the Teachers Mutual Bank to support an academically successful student who is experiencing financial hardship and who is undertaking an undergraduate Teaching program.
Field of study: Faculty of Education and Arts
Eligibility: To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled in any year of an undergraduate Teaching program with the University of Newcastle.
- Be enrolled full-time.
- Demonstrate academic achievement either by an Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) or equivalent of 75 or higher for commencing students, or a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 4.0 for continuing students.
- Demonstrate that the ability to study is affected, or will be affected, by financial hardship or other educational disadvantage.
- Not be the recipient of another UON Donor funded or sponsored scholarship concurrently.
- Be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident, or the holder of a Permanent Humanitarian Visa.
How to apply: apply online via the following link: https://dotnet.newcastle.edu.au/scholarships/apply.aspx
If documentation is not provided your application will not be processed. Please have all required documents available for upload as PDF, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, or JPG files prior to completing the online application process.
A written statement outlining your academic achievement to date, your experience of financial hardship, and your career aspirations in the relevant area of study or research as well as how this scholarship would assist you.
Closing date: 31 August, annually
Contact: Phone: +61 2 4921 5000, Fax: +61 2 4921 5759, Email: email@example.com